Signs and symptoms of Piles generally comprise of:
- Bleeding during bowel movements in the form of bright red blood seen on the toilet bowl, or stools streaked with bright red blood
- Itching or irritation in the anal region
- Pain in rectum or discomfort. The pain may exacerbate while cleaning the anal area.
- Swelling around the anus
- Lump near the anus which may be due to formation of clots - thrombosed hemorrhoids
- Leaking of stools is also one of the symptoms of Piles.
- Straining can push out an internal hemorrhoid through the anal opening. Such a protruding or prolapsed hemorrhoid can cause pain and irritation.
- External hemorrhoids can itch or bleed when irritated.
- Blood may collect in an external hemorrhoid and form a clot or thrombus leading to severe pain, swelling and inflammation.