There are many causes of sexual dysfunctions-
- Physical causes- This includes problems in the genitalia like enlarged prostate, hormonal disorders, nerve disorders etc. These are physical causes of sexual dysfunctions.
- Medical conditions can result to sexual dysfunction. These conditions are diabetes, heart disease, neurological diseases, hormonal imbalances, menopause, kidney disease, liver diseases, etc. Hysterectomy may also cause change in sexual activity of women.
- Alcohol and drug abuse can also result in sexual problems.
- Medications- Side effects of certain medications, antidepressant drugs, can affect sexual desire and function.
- Psychological causes. Factors like work-related stress and anxiety, concern about sexual performance, marital or relationship problems, depression, feelings of guilt, or the effects of a past sexual trauma like molestations etc. These are leading psychological causes of sexual disorders.