Mental Symptoms of Depression- Though these symptoms vary from person to person, there are few common mental symptoms.
- Intense sadness and hopelessness
- Helplessness and self-hatred
- Negative thoughts
- No interest in daily activities, fun activities, etc.
- Anger/irritability/frustration/gloomy feeling/self-loathing
- Irresponsible and reckless behaviour
- Less or no social interaction.
- Withdrawal even from favourite hobbies
- Guilty feeling.
- In children-lack of concentration, low academic performances
Physical Symptoms of Depression- Mental stress can channelize into symptoms of the body like
- Either weight gain or weight loss
- Lethargy and intense fatigue
- Insomnia or excessive sleep
- Lack of interest in sex
- Abuse or misuse of alcohol, drugs, etc.
TYPES OF DEPRESSION
- Symptoms should be constant everyday for at least 2 weeks.
- 'Down the black hole' is the constant feeling
- People with this type of disorder have associated bad experience in childhood.
- Both physical and emotional symptoms are associated.
- It is mild, less severe and chronic.
- It can be periodic, occurring at fixed intervals of time.
- Genetic factor can be associated.
- Depression occurs in alternation with periods of mania, wherein the individual feels unusually ecstatic, hyper and aggressive.
- It happens every year at the same time.
- Usually it is seen at onset of summers or winters.
There are more than 100 symptoms of Depression, but they vary from case to case.