- The main impact of Deafness/hearing loss is on the person's ability to communicate with others.
- In children, there is often delay in communication skills (speech and language development).
- There might be significant impact on academic performance.
Social and Emotional Impact:
- Isolation and poor self-concept, feeling of loneliness and frustration due to lack of communication skills.
Impact on Family of a child with deafness:
- Parents initially may feel guilt, denial, anger or shock.
- When they start to accept and work towards assisting their child with special need, they might feel stressed out, fatigue or helplessness.