Hypertrophy (overgrowth) of turbinates:
- It is a condition where there is obstruction of nasal passages due to overgrowth of the nasal wall tissues.
- The main reason for this is long standing allergic rhinitis (inflammation of nose).
- The main symptoms are watering nose, sneezing, nasal blockage and mouth breathing.
- Papillomas are wart-like growth arising out of the outer layer of the nasal passage. They tend to grow inwardly and hence the name.
- They occur as a result of an infection caused by Human Papilloma Virus.
- The symptoms are one-sided nasal mass, commonly fleshy in nature. Sometimes it may occur behind a nasal polyp.
- Nasopharyngeal angiofibroma is a benign and locally aggressive vascular tumour that grows in the back of the nasal cavity.
- It most commonly affects teenage boys.
- Patients with nasopharyngeal angiofibroma usually present with one-sided nasal obstruction and recurrent bleeding.
- Foreign body in the nose is usually encountered in emergency medicine. Patients are generally small children.
- Often the accompanying people may give a history of the patient inserting an object in the nose.
- Objects could be anything like parts of toys, beads, rubber, seeds of fruits/vegetables etc. Nasal bleeding may also be evident.
- There are inborn lesions of nose like gliomas, dermoids, encephalocele, cysts, neoplasms which may present like nasal polyps but can be diagnosed by MRI or CT Scan.