Nasal Polyps cannot be prevented as such. However, some measures to prevent infections can be taken.
- Hygiene: A basic simple habit of washing hands regularly is sure to prevent bacterial and viral infections.
- Humidity: Sometimes, a humidifier is of great use, especially in patients who already suffer from a pre-existing respiratory condition. This helps easy flow of mucus through breathing passages and prevents inflammation.
- Avoid substances that irritate the nose and breathing passages: Restrict exposure to allergens like pollen, perfumes, smoke, tobacco, dust, chemical fumes which cause inflammation and irritation of the nasal passage.
- Controlling Allergies and Asthma: Treating Asthma and Allergies with the right kind of medicines can prevent Nasal Polyps.
- Nasal lavage or Nasal rinse: Rinsing the nasal passage with saline spray improves the flow of mucus along with removal of irritants.