Being overweight or obese poses many problems for the patient. Symptoms of Obesity can be listed as follows:
- An obese person has a BMI of more than 30. Most of the extra fat will accumulate around either the waist and chest (Apple-shaped obesity) or the hips and buttocks (Pear-shaped obesity). Men who are obese tend to have big waists. Women tend to carry extra weight on their hips.
Symptoms of Obesity due to excess weight
- Difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath
- Increased perspiration
- Sleep disturbances
- Inability to move about quickly with difficulty in coping with day-to-day physical activities
- Extreme tiredness and laziness all day.
Symptoms of Obesity of cardiac origin due to heart disturbances
- Increased perspiration, breathlessness, chest pain, swelling of ankles, etc. due to high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, ischemic heart disease, cardiac failure, etc.
Symptoms of Obesity of endocrine origin
- Increased thirst and appetite, increased frequency of urination especially at night, pointing towards Diabetes Type II.
- Lethargy, tiredness and weakness, sluggishness due to Hypothyroidism,
- Menstrual disturbances, infertility due to hormonal disturbances or PCOS.
Symptoms of Obesity of Rheumatic origin
- Obesity leads to increased risk of Gout and Arthritis causing joint pains, backache, neck pain. etc.
Symptoms of Obesity on skin:
- Stretch marks are very common in obesity.
- Acanthosis Nigricans is a condition where there is excessive pigmentation of the skin of groin, neck, underarms, etc.
Gastro-intestinal symptoms due to Obesity:
- Burning in chest due to acidity
- Reflux of acid and food contents in the mouth due to Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Increased bloating, distension of abdomen and flatulence.
- Constipation or hard stools in case of a fatty liver or gallstones.
Symptoms of Obesity of Respiratory type:
- Obstruction or cessation of breathing during sleep leading to mouth breathing (Sleep Apnea)
- Shortness of breath due to Asthma
- Low self esteem
- Low confidence levels
- Feeling isolated in the society.