- Acromegaly is a condition where the pituitary gland secrets excessive growth hormone during adulthood. In this condition, there is increased bone size causing excessively large hands and feet.
- Other symptoms include enlarged facial features, increased perspiration with a foul odor, limited joint mobility and pain, menstrual disturbances in women and erectile dysfunction in men, etc. It generally affects the middle aged adults. In case the kids are affected, it is known as gigantism.
- Long term exposure to high levels of cortisol (most commonly after taking long term steroids) leads to Cushing's syndrome.
- Symptoms include weight gain and fat deposits, particularly around the midsection and upper back, in the face leading to moon face and between the shoulders causing buffalo hump, pink or purple stretch marks (striae) on the skin fragile skin that bruises easily, slow healing of cuts, etc.
- It is a term given to accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity. Severe ascites can lead to abdominal distension which can be mistaken for obesity.
- Other symptoms include abdominal heaviness and pressure and shortness of breath. It can be diagnosed with Ultrasonography, complete blood count, liver enzymes, metabolic profile, etc.
- Hypothyroidism is a condition of low levels of thyroid hormones due to abnormally reduced activity of thyroid causing mental and physical retardation.
- The symptoms include fatigue, depression, cold intolerance, excessive sleepiness, dry coarse hair, constipation, dry skin, muscle cramps, decreased concentration.