There is no vaccine available commercially for Chikungunya prevention.
The most important step in the prevention of Chikungunya is to control the breeding and spread of mosquitoes by:
- Eliminating their habitat
- Getting rid of open sources of stagnant water or adding insecticides to them.
At an individual level, people can take the following measures to prevent being bitten by mosquitoes:
- Using mosquito repellent creams while going out of the house.
- Installing mosquito nets on windows of the house, or around the bed while sleeping.
- Wearing long-sleeved clothes and long pants while going into a mosquito-infested area.