Some conditions which are more or less similar to Panic attacks are:
- The initial confusion between Panic attacks and Heart attacks occurs mostly due to similar symptoms like palpitations, breathlessness, sweating, etc.
- A well taken medical history supported by appropriate investigative tests help to establish the right diagnosis.
Post traumatic Stress Disorder
- It develops after person has witnessed some grave and unfortunate event leading to severe mental trauma.
- Symptoms include disturbing images, memories or flashbacks of the traumatic episode with a sense of fear.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- In this condition, constant intrusive thoughts of defective appearance of one's own body are present like crooked nose, defective smile, etc. although the pervasive flaw may not exist altogether.
- These thoughts cause inferiority complex and can mimic Panic attacks in long run.
Impulse Control Disorders
- In this disorder, patient experiences failure to resist any temptation or urge that could harm the self or others.
- Impulsive skin picking to the point of injury, pulling own hair, and even urge to start fires come under this term.