- It is a chronic form of thryoiditis in which thyroid gland becomes stony hard due to fibrosis of thyroid tissue.
- It is believed to have an autoimmune basis and about 30% of patients with Riedel's Thyroiditis develop hypothyroid traits.
- It is enlargement of thyroid gland due to deficiency of iodine.
- Endemic Goiter presents as a swelling in the neck and, if large enough, can exert pressure on windpipe resulting in difficulty in breathing.
- Mainly seen in children where a congenital deficiency of thyroid hormones is seen resulting in stunted mental and physical growth. It arises because of the deficiency of iodine in diet of the pregnant mother.
- It causes poor length growth of the child with swollen face, thickened skin and protruded abdomen.