If Hypothyroidism is left untreated, it may lead to a number of other conditions like
- It is the abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland that appears as a swelling in the neck.
- It can be associated with underactive or hyperactive thyroid and deficiency of iodine in the diet.
- Hypothyroid sufferers have increased risk of heart disease primarily because of elevated blood cholesterol level that predisposes them to heart attacks.
- Females with Hypothyroidism usually suffer from infertility because low levels of thyroid hormones interfere with the ovulation process (process in which the egg is released from the ovary for fertilization)
- It is seen that babies of mothers with untreated thyroid disease may have a higher risk of birth defects than babies born to healthy mothers.
- These children are more prone to develop intellectual and developmental problems.
- Uncontrolled Hypothyroidism can cause damage to the peripheral nerves leading to pain, numbness and tingling in the affected area.
Sometimes Hypothyroidism causes slowness of mental functioning resulting in Depression. Alzheimer's disease is also a possibility.