- Nose always feel blocked due to excessive mucus secretion.
- Breathing is laborous due to blocked nose and must breathe through the mouth.
- Child speaks in a nasal intonation as if nose is pinched.
Snoring and Sleep Apnea
- Nose block causes air to move through an obstructed path and this causes snoring while sleeping.
- Child may stop breathing for a few seconds during sleep due to this condition and therefore it causes sleep apnea.
- This can result in drowsiness during the daytime. These are significant symptoms of enlarged Adenoids found in child.
- Patient may experience pain and tenderness in the throat.
- Adenoid infection may also flare up upper respiratory tract infections (URTI).
- Throat becomes red and is very painful. These are chief symptoms of adenoids.
- Child cries during meals because of painful throat.
- Child avoids solid since it initiates more pain.
- Adenoid inflammation also flares up inflammation of surrounding structure leading to swelling of neck.
- Infection of ear is very common due to close proximity of adenoids and opening of Eustachian tubes in throat.
- Earache and suppurative otitis media is common in symptoms of adenoids.
- Blockage of nose leads to mucus logging and thereby multiplication of bacteria in mucus.
- This causes infection of adjoining paranasal sinuses resulting in sinusitis. These symptoms are present along with symptoms of adenoids.