Prevention is better than cure. Hence start with teaching your child lessons of hygiene.
- Teach your kid to wash his or her hands thoroughly after using the toilet to wash hands before eating anything.
- Child must be taught to cough or sneeze into a tissue or handkerchief and to wash hands after coughing or sneezing.
- Ensure sufficient intake of vitamins and minerals in your child's diet. Include fresh green vegetables and fruits. Vitamin C helps in preventing infections.
- Balanced diet will ensure good immunity to fight repeated cold and cough.
- Gargle with warm salt water; this will promote better blood circulation in the throat and will also relieve painful throat conditions.
- Keep your child away from smokers. Children who are in contact with people who smoke are at higher risk of contracting an infection.
- Avoid giving your child too much junk and processed food as they are high in carbohydrate content and low in proteins, which is also responsible for repeated infections.
- Provide comforting and warm liquids or water with honey to soothe sore throat.