- It is type of inflammatory bowel disease.
- Unlike Ulcerative colitis which affects colon and rectum, it can affect any part of gastrointestinal tract from the mouth to the anus.
- Many Infections of the small intestines can mimic Ulcerative Colitis.
- They may be of bacterial, fungal, viral, or protozoal in origin.
- It can produce ischemic process which can be chronic and diffuse as ulcerative colitis
- It can cause scarring and stricture formation.
- Intestinal tuberculosis infection occurs mainly in the immune suppressed patient, but may occur in patients with normal immunity.
- Patients present with symptoms of small bowel obstruction and a tender abdominal mass due to involvement of distal ileal and cecal involvement.