- No specific diet has been shown to make Ulcerative colitis better or worse
- Healthy diet which will meet with daily requirement of calories
During acute flare ups foods which are known to make bloating and diarrhoea worse should be avoided. Some of these foods items are-
- Dairy products and spicy food items
- Vegetables causing bloating - Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, and brussel sprouts.
- Deep fried foods, butter cheese, margarine, meat
You may need extra vitamins and minerals supplements, such as:
- Iron and Vitamins - For Anemia.
- Calcium and Vitamin D - To keep bones healthy and strong
- Take plenty of fluids at regular intervals to prevent dehydration.