A lone Stye happening as an isolated attack may not require medical treatment, although sufficient home care must be taken in treatment for stye to prevent complications and chances of recurrence.
- Gently clean the eyes with clean cotton wool. Do not use the same cotton ball for both eyes. Discard immediately.
- Wash hands thoroughly and regularly to stop the infection from spreading.
- Warm water compress: This is to be applied on the outer surface of eyelids to reduce infection and help in easy drainage of pus.
Medical treatment for stye is usually advised in case of persistent and recurrent attacks. Conventional prescribers go in for:
- Antibiotic eye drops prescribed for 5-7 days.
- Surgery to drain out the pus in extremely rare cases where stubborn styes fail to break open.