It is very difficult to pinpoint exactly those things that can be done to prevent a disease like OCD, simply because we still do not have an in-depth understanding of its causes. But, a few suggestions do help, like:
- Take care of yourself. Love yourself. Love your life. Take problems as challenges to be overcome rather than obstacles that upset you.
- Share your problems with your loved ones. Do not sulk.
- Sticking to therapy and medication is very essential in preventing recurrence.
- Exercise, yoga, meditation and stress management classes also help in reducing anxiety and thereby decrease severity of OCD.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and illicit drug abuse.