The exact causes of OCD are not known. However it may run in families, placing significance on the presence of predisposing genes.
The neurotransmitter Serotonin is believed to play a role in development of OCD. Serotonin is a hormone that regulates sleep, memory, moods and anxiety, and in people with OCD, its level has been reported to be low. But it has been difficult to find out the reason behind this chemical imbalance.
However, certain factors have been seen to be present and have been pointed out as causes of OCD in people. These include:
- Stress and overwhelming lifestyle changes like death of a loved one, divorce, etc.
- Abuse and witnessing violence
- Prolonged physical or mental illness
- Relationship and occupational stress
- School-related troubles
- Having an anxious personality