Certain complicating ailments tend to be seen if adequate care is not taken.
- Infection: In cases when the immune system is weakened, the lesions of molluscum montagiosum. can get secondarily infected with bacteria, resulting in painful cyst or abscesses.
- Hypopigmentation: After the lesions have resolved, the site of the eruptions may become temporarily of a lighter colour than the surrounding skin.
- Eczema: In people who have a history of atopic eczema, it may recur around the lesions of molluscum contagiosum if immunity is not good.
- Scarring: In cases of bigger lesions, once they heal, scars may be left behind in their place.
- Eye Infection: If the lesions of molluscum contagiosum are present in the area surrounding the eyes, a secondary infection may develop in the eye in the form of keratitis or conjunctivitis.