There could be many symptoms of learning Disabilities. Learning disabilities affect every person differently and they present differently at various stages of development. Few symptoms of learning Disabilities are listed below-
- Difficulty in pronunciation and finding correct words
- Trouble in learning the alphabet, numbers, colours, shapes, days of the week, months etc.
- Cannot follow directions or instruction
- Difficulty in establishing connection between letters and their sounds
- Confusion in basic words when reading aloud
- Slow to learn new skills
- Slow and inaccurate reading
- Numerous spelling mistakes
- Poor comprehension or understanding skills
- Difficulty with buttons, zippers, tying shoes, sketching etc
- Learning basic math concepts is troublesome
- Poor organizational skills
- Poor handwriting
These symptoms of learning Disabilities further lead to-
- When child is repeatedly mocked or scolded by parents or teachers (who do not understand his problem and think child is just mischievous) he loses his self confidence.
- Child becomes frustrated, angry. He becomes ashamed of his inabilities.
- This leads to depression. Child stops interacting, making friends stays aloof and isolated.
- This becomes worse when they are repeatedly compared to their normal siblings or classmates.