Urinary Tract Infections
- Symptoms of increased frequency of urination with difficulty in passing urine are present.
- Symptoms to be differentiated are of fever with chills, burning during urination and microscopic examination of urine suggesting infection, which are not present in BEP.
- Inflammation of the urinary bladder wall owing to any kind of infection or other causes can lead to symptoms similar to BEP.
- Symptoms related to difficulty in voiding urine like straining and other symptoms including passing urine mixed with blood are commonly encountered. Urine microscopic examination with cystoscopy findings can differentiate BEP from cystitis.
- Large sized bladder stones which can obstruct the bladder neck can give rise to symptoms of difficulty in voiding urine like BEP.
- It can also lead to severe complications like acute retention of urine. Radiographic findings and a cystoscopy can be done to confirm the diagnosis of bladder stones.
- Inflammation of the prostate gland due to the commonest cause being infection can lead to symptoms like BEP related to difficulty in passing urine.
- The differentiating symptoms are of pain in the lower abdomen, fever with chills and pain during ejaculation with occasional passage of blood in semen.
- It is a common cancerous malady of old-aged males. Generally a progressing case of prostatic cancer presents with symptoms very similar to BEP.
- Only differentiating feature is that the Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) level in blood in increased in cases of prostate cancer. Other symptoms which may be seen in cancer are painful ejaculation and passing blood in semen.