- This is a serious condition which leads to brain damage and can cause facial paralysis.
- It is a medical emergency, and usually leads to complete paralysis on one side of the body.
- This may also damage the nerve or arrest the blood supply to nerve and may result in symptoms similar to Bell's Palsy.
- Infection of the middle ear may also damage the facial nerve and cause symptoms similar to Bell's Palsy.
Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
- It is a disease caused by Varicella Zoster Virus (that causes Herpes Zoster).
- Here the virus specifically targets the facial nerve and gives rise to symptoms like paralysis of facial muscles and hearing loss on the affected side.
- Facial paralysis can occur because of a tumor that presses on the facial nerve within the brain.
- The symptoms of facial paralysis due to a tumor usually develop slowly, as opposed to Bell's Palsy which develops comparatively faster.