None of the conventional treatments offer foolproof and long-lasting treatment for Vitiligo. Treatment also depends on duration of Vitiligo and age of patient because they help to determine how well the patient will respond to treatment.
- Medications: Steroids and creams are used locally.
- Phototherapy: Exposing the skin to Ultraviolet-B (UVB) light from UVB lamps is the most common treatment for Vitiligo. There is however, increased risk of burns due to overexposure as well as Skin Cancer.
- Immune Mediators: Certain drugs to moderate immunity are also used in treatment for Vitiligo.
- Camouflage: Affected skin is covered with make-up or cosmetics.
These treatment options offer a temporary respite from the ailment and do not necessarily lead to long-term relief.
- Melanocyte Transplant: This is a recently conducted technique in which a layer of pigmented skin from healthy part of the body is transplanted to Vitiligo-affected area. The result of this treatment varies considerably from case to case and often demands multiple surgeries to be performed.