Though Vitiligo is not life threatening, it may cause some complications in rare cases:
- Risk of Sunburn is more in Vitiligo patients.
- Because Vitiligo is known to have an autoimmune basis, it can be associated with other immune based disorders like Hypothyroidism and Alopecia Areata.
- Vitiligo causes severe social or psychological distress.
- It might lead to Skin Cancer in rare cases.
- Iritis (inflammation of iris) can be seen in patients having Vitiligo of eyes.
- Conventional treatment of Vitiligo can lead to dryness of skin and itching.