- Watch out for a forthcoming episode of Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia will not occur instantly. There will be subtle changes in behavior, thoughts and emotions that need to be looked out for, so as to keep the situation in hand and avoiding any unpleasant events.
- Communicate in a very effective way. Always be polite and keep conversations to the point.
- Listen patiently, give the required attention and love to the patient.
- Play along with the hallucinations if only practical. It may give him a certain sense of control of the situation. Let him know, that someone understands him.
- Keep contact numbers, addresses of health care professionals, and mental health workers very handy in case of any emergency situation.
- Stay calm.
- Don't scream and panic. It will only agitate the patient.
- Do not threaten the patient or beat him.
- Do not leave the patient alone.