Diet and Nutrition is very important in managing PICA.
Whenever the underlying cause for pica is related to some mineral or vitamin deficiency, it is very important to include food items rich with that particular mineral or vitamin in the daily diet as directed by the nutrition advisor.
Some rich sources of common minerals are:
- Iron- Green leafy vegetables, spinach, chicken, potatoes, broccoli, beans, raisins etc.
- Zinc- Chicken, kidney beans, chick peas, oatmeal, almonds etc.
- Calcium- Milk, yogurt, cereals, salmon fish, almonds, sunflower seeds etc.
- Potassium- Beans, leafy vegetables, potatoes, yogurt, bananas etc.
- Vitamin B12- Shellfish, liver, fish, red meat, cheese, eggs, milk, etc.
Seek the help of professional nutrition advisor by making a diet-plan specifically for your condition.