Conditions similar to Nephrotic Syndrome causing edema are many. Few of the important conditions are:
Congestive Heart Failure
- In this condition, the power of the heart to pump blood throughout the body weakens.
- This results in symptoms like shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, dry cough, pitting edema over dependent parts of body and later enlargement of heart.
- This can occur due to conditions like Hepatitis B or C, Cirrhosis and alcohol consumption.
- The signs and symptoms are nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, generalized swelling along with distended veins of legs and abdomen, jaundice and itching of skin.
Conditions similar to Nephrotic Syndrome causing excess of proteinuria are multiple including:
- There may be some amount of proteinuria along with raised levels of blood and urine sugar levels.
- Initial symptoms include increased thirst, appetite and urination with easy fatigue and increased susceptibility to infections.
- This is a type of cancer affecting the plasma cells (which are part of the immune system) leading to accumulation of abnormal cells in the bone marrow.
- Multiple Myeloma usually causes proteinuria but will never be associated with decreased level of albumin in blood.