The DASH diet
DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet is common diet recommended in hypertensive patients.
Studies have shown that, people on this diet saw a significant reduction in High Blood Pressure within 2 weeks.
It is a very effective diet in reducing the risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and osteoporosis.
- Limit yourself to 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day (about 1 teaspoon).
- Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Increase your daily intake of low-fat or skim dairy products.
- Replace enriched flour breads with whole grain bread.
- Choose whole-grain cereals without large amounts of additives and sugar.
- Add more nuts, seeds, and legumes to your daily diet.
potassium-enrichedfruits and vegetables like bananas, dark green leafy vegetables, beans, potatoes, avocados, etc.
- Keep to modest amounts of protein foods, preferably soy, fish, and poultry.
- Read food labels to choose products that are lower in sodium.
- not consume aerated drinks and packaged foods as they contain high amounts of sodium.