What is GERD?
Gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic disease that occurs when stomach acid or occasionally, bile flows back (refluxes) into the food pipe (esophagus).
GERD has become quite a common digestive trouble today with 10-20% of the Western population being affected by it.
Normally, a ring like structure called Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES) allows food to pass into the stomach and closes to avoid food contents and stomach juices to go back into the esophagus. GE Reflux occurs when this muscular ring gets weak or relaxes incompletely, allowing the back flow (reflux) of stomach contents into the esophagus.
This back flow of acid irritates the inner lining of the food pipe which causes the signs and symptoms of GERD. View causes of GERD.
What happens in GERD?
- Heartburn, commonly referred to as acidity, felt in the middle of the chest, specially post meals
- Regurgitation, i.e. appearance food contents in the mouth
- Nausea with or without vomiting
May produce lot of mucus which may mimic Pharyngitis."
Know more about symptoms of GERD.
What can GERD lead to?
If not treated, GERD can complicate into:
- Ulcers: Inflammation of the esophagus can cause ulceration and may lead to bleeding.
- Stricture: After healing of the ulcers, scars are formed leading to strictures (narrowing of the food pipe).
- Barrett's Esophagus: GERD of very long duration may cause changes in the cells of the oesophagus leading to Barrett's Esophagus that is a strong precursor to Cancer.
- Respiratory Troubles: Long-standing GERD may precipitate cough and asthma, and may also cause inflammation of throat.
How well homeopathy works in Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease
- Homeopathy is very efficient in managing symptoms of GERD and has excellent success rate in the treatment for GERD.
- Moreover, it also helps in preventing relapse of the condition.
- Homeopathy is natural, safe and without any side-effects, and one can enjoy complete freedom from acid reflux.
- GERD is predominantly because of stress, strain and the life style. Homeopathic medicines help in relieving the stress, thus decreasing acid reflux.
- Homeopathic treatment for GERD has more than 100 natural, side-effect free remedies in its treasury for the treatment of this condition.
Few of our amazing remedies include:
- NUX VOMICA: Good for almost all kinds of stomach troubles arising from improper eating habits.
- CARBO-VEG: Heartburn accompanied by belching, bloating, heaviness in abdomen and chest, and difficulty in digesting even simple food.
- IRIS: Effective when the symptoms of reflux are accompanied by headache.