Treatment for Endometriosis focuses on alleviation of pain and other symptoms and treatment of infertility that Endometriosis causes.
- Hormones are used to suppress the natural menstrual cycle and pain management.
- Oral contraceptives are also used in treatment of pain associated with Endometriosis. Other pain relieving medicines like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) are also used.
- In vitro fertilization is the commonly adopted option for infertility after Endometriosis, while Assisted Reproductive Technology is suggested if other measures fail.
- Surgical removal of endometriotic masses and scar tissue is advised in treatment for Endometriosis when conservative medical management fails, or in younger, infertile women who desire pregnancy.
- Hysterectomy (surgery to remove uterus) is done in extreme cases in women who have children and do not desire more.