West Nile Encephalitis
- It is a mosquito-borne disease transmitted to humans by among seventeen species of wild birds.
- It presents with gastrointestinal disturbances along with neurological manifestations. Most patients show features of encephalitis and aseptic meningitis.
- It is a bacterial infectious disease commonly affecting children between 4-8 years. The chief symptoms are sore throat, fever, red rash and more typically strawberry tongue.
- It can even cause complications like inflammation of the kidney and infection of the valves of the heart.
- It is a mosquito-borne viral disease which sometimes presents with acute onset of inflammation of liver that is viral hepatitis and hemorrhagic fever.
- The infection quickly affects the kidneys, lymph nodes, spleen, and bone marrow.
- It is also a viral fever similar to dengue fever and is transmitted by mosquitoes.
- It has an acute febrile phase lasting 2- 5 days followed by prolonged period of severe joint pains which may remain for months or years together.