- Give large quantities of fluids with light diet.
- Advice complete bed rest.
- Repeated blood tests are necessary to monitor platelet counts and haematocrit.
- Timely intravenous fluid substitutes to counteract plasma leakage.
FOR THE SURROUNDINGS:
- Breeding places of mosquitoes must be destroyed.
- Nets must be used for protection from mosquitoes.
- Cleanliness of the surroundings is a must.
- Do not give Aspirin or any NSAIDs for the fever or pain because Aspirin is a blood thinner and NSAIDs exacerbate plasma leakage.
- Never delay treatment especially if symptoms like red spots, bleeding from any site, black stools, excessive drowsiness, breathlessness, paleness of skin and frequent vomiting occur.