- There are currently no vaccines commercially available for the prevention of Dengue.
- The main purpose stated by World Health Organization in prevention of Dengue is to control the breeding of mosquitoes. This can be done by:
- Eliminating the habitats: Mosquitoes usually inhabit places that hold water like wheelbarrows, tires, hubcaps, tarps, plastic sheeting, pipes, drains, boats and waste bins. Cleanliness should be maintained everywhere.
- Decrease stagnated open sources of water: Ditches, clogged rain gutters, flower pots, plant saucers, puddles, etc. should either be covered or eliminated.
- Pest control: Regular pest control through fumigation should be done near houses and societies to eradicate mosquitoes.
- While going out of the house, especially in the evenings, wear full-sleeved clothing to avoid mosquito bites.
- Use mosquito repellent creams if you are going into a heavily infested area.
- Use mosquito nets on windows or around the bed.