The recommended treatment for Conjunctivitis will depend on whether it is caused by infection, an allergic reaction or any irritant.
- Usually lubricant eye drops can be used to soothe eyes.
- Gently cleaning eyes with sterile cotton wool.
- Washing hands regularly to stop infection from spreading to other people.
Other supportive measures that can be adopted in treatment for Conjunctivitis to hasten recovery include:
- Cold and warm water compress: They can be applied on the outer surface of eyelids to reduce infection.
- Black tea can also be included in the eye compress. It contains tannic acid, which helps to reduce itching.
- Honey can be used, because it has antibacterial properties. To use honey, dilute a few drops in warm water and gently apply to closed eyes with a dropper or by using a compress.