Common cold is a contagious illness that can be caused by a number of different types of viruses.
- More than 200 different types of viruses are known to figure among causes of Common Cold, but Rhinovirus is the commonest virus, accounting for 30-35% of all colds.
- Other commonly implicated causes of Common Cold include Coronavirus, Adenovirus, and Parainfluenza virus.
- The virus can be transmitted from person to person by infected airborne droplets, direct contact with infected nasal secretions or contaminated objects commonly used by the infected person like towels, pencils, etc.
- This type of infection is most commonly seen in daycare and at school.
- Sometimes, prolonged exposure to cold weather such as rain or winter, clinical conditions can also transmit the infections.