People who are at increased risk of getting Bronchitis are
- Age group- Elderly people, infants and young children are at higher risk to get infection.
- Upper respiratory infections- A history of recent upper respiratory infections particularly sinusitis, common cold, or influenza (flu) can easily develop Bronchitis
- Smokers- Cigarette smoking is the greatest risk factor for developing chronic Bronchitis. The more you smoke; there is a greater chance of developing chronic Bronchitis.
- Irritants- People who are exposed to high level of air pollution, chemical fumes , dust , working in coal mining, textile manufacturing are at a higher risk to develop Bronchitis
- Other respiratory diseases- Chronic illness such as COPD, cystic fibrosis, asthma, allergies can lead to Bronchitis
- Injuries- An injury to the chest wall such as a rib fracture or injury to airways cause Bronchitis
- Weakened immune system- Disease like Diabetes, HIV or Treatment like Chemotherapy, prolonged steroidal medications impairs the immune system by reducing the body to fight against infection.