- Any new tooth or upcoming wisdom tooth may present pain in one side of the face till the ear which imitates the trigeminal neuralgia
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- It is a group of disorders which affects the temporo-mandibular joint, muscles of mastication and the associated structures. Pain is on opening and closing the mouth with noises.
- It is one sided periodical headache with or without aura and vomiting sensation. It may or may not have any pathology behind it.
Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis)
- It is the immune mediated inflammation of the arteries particularly the extra cranial branches. Anyone over the age of 50 with headache, scalp tenderness, transient visual symptoms or unexplained facial pain can be suspected of temporal arteritis.
- Also known as histamine headache of neurovascular origin. The pathophysiology and etiology is not well known.
- There is marked deep pain in muscles of chewing and eating rather than nerve pain. It will not be arrested by the regular local anesthetic block.