Fibromyalgia could be caused by a number of factors:
- GENETIC: One becomes more susceptible to develop fibromyalgia if there is a history of the disease in the family.
- INFECTIONS: Any kind of viral or bacterial infections can trigger Fibromyalgia.
- STRESS: Stressful events, either physical like accidents or mental like Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder can cause Fibromyalgia.
- CHRONIC DISEASES: Auto-immune diseases like Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or Rheumatoid Arthritis can lead to Fibromyalgia.
- CHEMICAL FACTORS: Imbalances or disturbances in certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin are found to be associated with Fibromyalgia.