- Drug Therapy- certain oral medications like iso-sorbide dinitrate, calcium channel blockers like verapamil help in treatment for Achalasia cardia in relaxing the lower esophageal sphincter and lessen the symptoms.
- Botulinum Toxin- Endoscopic injections of botulinum toxins to weaken the lower esophageal sphincter has proven very effective in reducing the symptoms.
Surgical Methods :
- Balloonic or Pneumatic dilatation- This procedure is done by asking the patient to swallow a tube with a balloon at the end of it. When this tube reaches the esophagus, the balloon is blown up to stretch and dilate the lower esophageal sphincter.
- Laparoscopic Heller myotomy- Surgical removal of esophageal sphincter is done through laparoscopic methods in treatment for Achalasia Cardia. This is a much successful option than dilatation as the latter can cause rupture of esophagus.
- Fundoplication- This surgical procedure prevents food from regurgitating back to the oral cavity thereby avoiding acid reflux.
Lifestyle modifications: Certain small simple practices before and after treatment like maintaining proper diet routine, having frequent meals, chewing food slowly, increasing water intake etc. can help in aiding the curing process and preventing further recurrences.