Foods to include:
- Adopt for a softer and a pureed diet like soups, porridge, mashed vegetables as this will help in swallowing food better without any discomfort.
- Include foods rich in protein like chicken, fish, soya and eat more high fiber foods.
- Ginger plays an excellent role in helping digestion in our body and prevents heartburn.
- Dairy products like milk and yogurt work very well in easing symptoms of digestive discomfort.
- Pepper mint as an ingredient in teas and yogurt dips are known to help reduce gastric acid secretion and soothe the body.
- Thickened fluids like broth, stew, vegetables blended well or juices can be consumed.
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water daily to stay hydrated.
Foods to avoid:
- Avoid fried and spicy foods as they act as irritants and worsen the symptoms.
- Avoid high carbohydrate foods like potatoes, cauliflower, wheat, rice as they are known to slow down the digestive process.
- Consume citrus fruits like lemon, oranges etc. in moderation as they are known to increase acid reflux.
- Reduce consumption of caffeine in your daily routine. Stick to 2 cups of tea or coffee daily.
- Avoid too much beverages and aerated drinks.