Food plays an important role in development of human beings. Following food may be of help-
- Omega-3 fatty acids- Deficiency in proper intake of omega- 3 fatty acids may lead to speech development delay in children. It can also affect speech quality. Include fish like salmon, flaxseeds, walnuts, soybeans, tofu etc for ample supply of omega -3 fatty acids.
- Vitamin D- It is important for brain development in foetus. Hence during pregnancy consume more of fish, eggs, liver etc. Expose to early morning sunshine.
- Folic Acid- Foods rich in folic acid or Vitamin B9 helps in prevention of nerve defects. Include leafy dark green vegetables and food fortified with folic acids like breads, wheat flour in your diet.
- Vitamin E- This acts as antioxidants and kills free radicals which can damage our nerves resulting in speech problems. Include more fruits, vegetables, nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc in diet.
- Include food containing zinc, phosphorus, magnesium in diet for better overall development of child. Include dairy foods, fish, rice, nuts, chocolates, spinach, tomatoes, ginger, cumin, cloves, eggs, beans, peas, yogurt etc.
- Avoid foods that cause allergies to you since allergic reactions are an important cause of hearing loss which can simultaneously contribute to speech disorders.
- Avoid food preservatives, canned foods, additives in artificial foods, glutamates, excess coffee and alcohol.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol during pregnancy.