Factors that can contribute to the development of Psoriasis include:
- Emotional or physical stress: Stress may cause psoriasis to appear suddenly or make existing symptoms worse.
- Heredity: Many doctors believe that psoriasis may be passed from parents to their children. This is because of certain genes that are found in families affected by psoriasis.
- Infection: Infections such as strep throat can cause psoriasis to develop suddenly, especially in children.
- Skin injuries: Injury to skin can cause psoriasis patches to form anywhere on the body, even other than the site of the injury. This includes injuries to nails or nearby skin while trimming nails.
- Smoking: Smoking increases risk of getting psoriasis and makes the existing symptoms more severe.