- Menstrual disturbances like absence of periods, scanty periods, and irregular periods.
- Difficulty in conceiving.
- Unexplained weight gain.
- Abnormal and excessive hair growth on face, chest, abdomen, back, etc.
- Acne, oily face, dandruff.
- Pain in the lowermost part of abdomen.
- Anxiety or depression.
Being a disease involving an imbalance of hormones, the signature symptoms of PCOS seen are menstrual disturbances.
Menstrual disturbances include:
- Delay in normal menstruation (periods)
- Absence of periods or skipping of periods
- Infrequent periods
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Raised blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Resistance of the body to make optimum use of insulin
- Excessive weight gain
- Abnormal growth of hair all over the body, especially the face and chin, called Hirsutism
- Propensity to develop acne and dandruff. This is because excess circulating androgens cause the skin to become oily.