I have developed a red rash on right side of chest. My doctor says it is the rash of Shingles? How will the rash affect my skin? How should I care for it at home?
The following are the self care methods you can adopt:
- Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of varicella-zoster virus.
- Local dressing with water at room temperature, for half an hour to 1 hour, at least 5-6 times every day, helps relieve the symptoms. Cool wet compresses also help to lessen the pain.
- Keep the skin clean and allow the rash to remain uncovered. Be gentle with your blisters and try not to scratch them. Make a mixture of white vinegar and tepid water. Compress the vesicles or crusts with this mixture for about 15 minutes daily till the blisters dry up to soothe the area.
- Skin becomes very dry, stretched and at times cracked, once the scabs fall off. Rubbing some coconut oil 4-5 times daily would nourish the skin and prevent dryness.
- Articles that cannot be discarded should be used only after they are washed in boiling water or disinfected by other means.
Is Shingles dangerous in pregnant women?
Shingles occur only if you have had chickenpox early in life, you get immune to the infection.
So if Shingles are developed in a pregnant woman, it is usually mild and not dangerous. This is probably because a pregnant female have immunity to the varicella-zoster virus (same virus that causes chickenpox), and this immunity is passed on to the baby.
Homeopathy is a safer form of natural medicine. Homeopathic treatment can be used during pregnancy when conventional medicines are ill advised.
My doctor says there is no preventive measure for the recurrence of Shingles. Is it true?
No, Homeopathy is such a mode of treatment that greatly reduces the probability of repeated shingles attacks by eliminating the virus completely or by keeping it under control.
Conventional methods such as antivirals, vaccine, etc cannot guarantee to prevent the recurrence of Shingles.
Homeopathic medicines are safe, does not have any side-effects if chosen appropriately.
How long do the Shingles last?
Shingles last for two to four weeks starting from formation of blisters to drying of crusts.
The fluid filled blisters may last from 1-14 days. After a few days, they break open and start to ooze. Later, they form small ulcers that begin to dry and crust over. The crusts then fall off and generally heal in 2-4 weeks, leaving behind pink healing skin.
Is it possible to prevent getting Shingles?
You can't prevent yourself from contracting shingles because shingles is not contracted from someone with shingles or chickenpox infection. You only get shingles from your own chickenpox virus.
A vaccine has been launched recently that reduces the risk of getting Shingles by nearly 50%.
You can adopt following preventive methods:
- Do not share articles used by the infected person.
- Do not stay in close physical contact of the person with Shingles for about 7-9 days until the blisters have dried, because till then the virus is present in the blister fluid.
What is the scope of Homeopathic treatment for Shingles?
Homeopathy helps you in every stage of the Shingles.
In patients who have already developed the condition, homeopathic treatment for Shingles (Herpes Zoster) aims at reducing the intensity of the symptoms as well as the total duration of the disease. Thus, the course of disease becomes short and the symptoms less severe with homeopathic treatment for Shingles. This significantly reduces the patient's suffering as well as impairment.
Importantly, homeopathic treatment significantly diminishes the risk of development of nasty complications of shingles.
Additionally, homeopathic treatment for Shingles greatly reduces the probability of repeated shingles attacks by eliminating the virus completely or by keeping it under control.
Homeopathy treatment for Shingles has fantastic management for post Herpetic Neuralgia. The recovery is so good and fast that in most cases the pain comes under control in a shorter duration of time.
We strive to select a single remedy that will be help to relieve your suffering.
So stop worrying about popping numerous pills and pasting your skin with creams! Respect your Health, your Individuality; get back your Quality Health through Right Homeopathy. Start the treatment with Our Expert Physicians!
What are the treatments available for Shingles?
Conventional mode of treatment includes administration steroidal creams, painkillers, antivirals. In exceptional cases, Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS) and neurosurgery is recommended in complicated cases. These treatments will give you relief but their effect is short-lived. There may be risk of side-effects by prolong use of steroidal creams and painkillers.
What is needed is a therapeutic mode that ensures long-lasting relief and prevention.
Homeopathy is 'preventive' as well as 'curative'. Homeopathic medicines will improve your body's natural defense mechanisms or 'immunity' to prevent reactivation of the chickenpox (varicella) virus.
The approach to homeopathic treatment for Shingles is gentle, swift and also the recurrence of the illness is diminished.
Don't want suppressive medications? Then take a step towards recovery by Starting Homeopathic Treatment which is quicker and more effective without any side-effects.
Why does post herpetic neuralgia occur?
Post Herpetic Neuralgia occurs when the Varicella-Zoster Virus damages nerves causing loss of sensation. Damaged nerves aren't able to send messages from your skin to your brain as they normally do thereby causing excruciating pain.
The chance of developing Post Herpetic Neuralgia increases as you get older.
My father is 65 years old and had Shingles few days back. But still he is suffering from agonizing pain in the area he had blisters. What is the pain due to? Is there any treatment that can relieve him?
The pain is due to post herpetic neuralgia. It is a long-term pain as a result of nerve damage due to the virus that lasts for at least 30 days or continues for months and years. This is the most common complication following shingles.
The pain can be so severe making him difficult to eat, sleep or perform daily activities.
In cases of severe or persistent pain, patients can become depressed and on occasions may even become suicidal.
Conventional approach has less scope in treating Post Herpetic Neuralgia. Usually painkillers are not helpful and there are side-effects of anti-depressants giving you relief that is temporary.
Homeopathy treats Post Herpetic Neuralgia most effectively. The challenge of relieving the excruciating pain is met by Homeopathic medicines.
Want a better pain relief method for your loved one? Visit online support by Our Expert Panel and Stop the torment immediately!
Do I need to undergo many tests for the diagnosis of Shingles?
Your physician can easily diagnose shingles based on the typical clinical findings along with a previous history of chickenpox or shingles.
Tests are very rarely performed to confirm the diagnosis; however, when necessary, viral culture is recommended.
To know in detail, click Tests and Diagnosis
Does Shingles affect only skin? Can I get Shingles on other parts of body?
It is possible to have more than one area of rash on your body. Shingles can occur inside your eye and ear too. Some of the symptoms are:
- Decreased sensation of the cornea, decreased tears, late healing and increased risk of corneal injury.
- Increased risk of bacterial infection in the eye
- Acute retinal necrosis causing blurring of vision and/or pain in one or both eyes.
- In a more severe form, there is absence of light perception and detachment of the retina. This condition has a very poor prognosis.
- Glaucoma usually seen in patients with severe, chronic or repeated attacks of shingles
- Cataract also usually seen in patients with severe, chronic or repeated attacks of shingles
- Ramsay Hunt syndrome, which is characterized by intense pain in the ear; herpetic vesicles on the external ear or tympanic membrane, mouth, face, neck, and scalp and transitory one-sided facial paralysis.