- Watching your Weight: It is imperative to maintain proper weight, and prevent obesity, because obesity entails high cholesterol that in turns increases chances of gallstones.
- Exercise: A brisk walk everyday for 30 minutes ensures optimum cholesterol levels. Exercise has been known to increase protective cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol and fats.
- Diet: A low-fat diet is a sensible step to curtail the formation of gallstones. Animal fats and dairy products such as cheese, paneer (Indian cottage cheese), etc. should be avoided.
- Consult Your Local Physician: In case of severe biliary colic or if you notice any yellowishness of skin, you must consult your local family physician immediately.
- Skipping meals: When you skip meals, your body tends to accumulate more of fats, decrease your metabolism and increase weight.
- Avoid carbonated drinks: They have been known to hamper the production of bile in the gallbladder and aggravate the current condition.
- Avoid fat-rich foods: Avoid foods that are fried, oily or high in fat. Fat digestion is the prime function of bile, and oily foods increase the strain on the gallbladder.
- Avoid large meals: It is advisable to avoid eating large meals especially before bed time.