Some conditions which are more or less similar to Cellulitis -
- Impetigo: It is also a skin infection but involves only superficial structure unlike Cellulitis; where the infection reaches much deeper and involves deeper structures. It is highly contagious and seen mostly in kids.
- Stasis Dermatitis: Poor blood circulation in the limbs may cause scaly red lines to appear on the shin and ankles which is known as Stasis Dermatitis. Allergic or contact dermatitis may also result in redness of skin but there is associated itching too which is not seen in Cellulitis.
- Autoimmune Disorders: Certain autoimmune diseases like Lupus may also cause similar signs and symptoms as in Cellulitis. But in Cellulitis the cause of infection is bacteria which are not there in autoimmune diseases.
- Necrotizing Fasciitis: It is very similar condition to Cellulitis where the tissue beneath the skin and muscles are affected. But it is very rapidly spreading and grave condition. It has high mortality rate
- Osteomyelitis: Bone Infections like Osteomyelitis especially of legs also give rise to similar symptoms.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis: This condition is characterized by formation of blood clot in deep veins of body. Deep Venous Thrombosis of lower legs has quite similar symptoms like redness, warmth, swelling etc as seen in Cellulitis.