Although there is a strong genetic link associated with the onset of Ankylosing Spondylitis, it is still better to follow a healthy diet to reduce the sufferings and control the disease in its initial stages.
FOODS TO INCLUDE:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: found in flax seeds, soya bean, walnuts, brussels sprouts, fish. They are known to reduce the activity and inflammation of Ankylosing Spondylitis.
- Fruits and Vegetables: When taken in the fresh form, they provide adequate vitamins and minerals, improve bone strength and overall immunity.
- Whole Food and Grains: Ankylosing Spondylitis tends to affect the liver, heart and other important organs too, so it is advisable to have more of fiber found in whole wheat, brown rice, whole oats, etc.
FOODS TO AVOID:
- Processed Food: Preserved, canned and frozen foods should ideally be avoided as they tend to flare up the inflammation.
- Refined Food: Junk foods usually comprise of refined flour and refined sugar and should be absolutely avoided.
- Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks, beverages like tea, coffee, soft drinks, etc. are bad for the bones as well as overall health. Eliminate them from your diet.
- Soda/Aerated Drinks: They are also very harmful as the phosphoric acid found in them tends to leach out calcium from bones and interfere with calcium metabolism.