To prevent upper, middle or low back pain you must:
- Warm up and perform stretching exercises before doing your activity.
- If your work requires sitting for long hours, making sure you take frequent breaks to stretch your back.
- Don't twist when you are lifting heavy objects.
- Stop smoking, if you smoke.
- Lose weight by adopting healthy eating if you are obese.
- Stand upright, head facing forward, back straight, and balance your weight evenly on both feet.
- Sit upright with support to the small of back.
- Push things, and do not pull them.
- Wear flat shoes which put less strain on back.
- Sleep on a firm mattress that keeps your spine straight.
Low back pain in children can be prevented by:
Physical activity is very important for trunk muscle strength and endurance. Regular activities like walking, running, swimming, dancing can help children to avoid low backache. Also take care that they don’t overdo any activity as it increases risk of injuries.
Prevention of backache during pregnancy:
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Make sure you get enough rest
- Bend your knees and keep your back straight when lifting or picking up something from the floor
- Avoid twisting your spine, instead move your feet if you have to turn around
- Wear flat shoes as these allow your weight to be evenly distributed
- Sit with your back straight and well supported