Back pain can originate due to any type of injury or Damage to:
- the vertebral bones (bones that make up spine),
- discs (cushion-like structure in between vertebral bones),
- ligaments (fibrous tissue that connects bones to other bones)
- nerves and muscles of the spine and back
Back Pain can originate from:
- Upper Back
- Middle Back
- Lower Back
|UPPER AND MIDDLE BACK||LOWER BACK|
Constitutes thoracic spine:
|Occurrence of Backache||Less common than lower back pain||Lower back pain is a common ailment|
Upper and middle backache is less common since the bones in this area of the back don't flex or move as much as the bones in your lower back or neck. They work with the ribs to keep the back stable and help protect your vital organs, heart and lungs.
Incidence of Low backache:
- About 8 in 10 people have one or more bouts of low back pain.
- Very common among working professionals
- Commonest cause for missed work due to absenteeism
- Most people will become better in 3 months with conservative treatment for backache.
- Only 5-10% may require surgery
- Emotional stress can play a role in how severe backache is and how long it lasts.